Best Grades for Tutoring

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
A friend once told me that college students are the worst to tutor regardless of subject. They never have any money and only call for tutoring service about two weeks before a major exam. In your opinion, what is the best grade(s) to provide tutoring service?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
I've only ever tutored college students except for the occasional person online.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Tell me about your tutoring experience.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
Tell me about your tutoring experience.
I was paid by my school to be a math/science/English tutor for 7 semesters. I would sit in the student lounge with a sign indicating that I would give free tutoring provided by the school. It was mostly math students coming to me. One student that sticks out in my mind was a lady in her 70s who simply could not get factoring quadratics. She would apologize, and say "I know you'd probably rather be tutoring some cute young thing, and not be stuck with this old lady." She would always give me $20 too, even though it was never more than an hour. At first I tried to refuse the money because the school was already paying me, but she was extremely persistent. She was a very nice person. She finally passed College Algebra and graduated too.

I did do some private tutoring for people I casually knew who knew I did tutoring for the school, mostly their high school kids.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
I was paid by my school to be a math/science/English tutor for 7 semesters. I would sit in the student lounge with a sign indicating that I would give free tutoring provided by the school. It was mostly math students coming to me. One student that sticks out in my mind was a lady in her 70s who simply could not get factoring quadratics. She would apologize, and say "I know you'd probably rather be tutoring some cute young thing, and not be stuck with this old lady." She would always give me $20 too, even though it was never more than an hour. At first I tried to refuse the money because the school was already paying me, but she was extremely persistent. She was a very nice person. She finally passed College Algebra and graduated too.

I did do some private tutoring for people I casually knew who knew I did tutoring for the school, mostly their high school kids.
Interesting.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
I was also paid by my school to read textbooks on tape for the visually impaired, and to take notes for the hearing impaired. The note taking thing I didn't care too much for, because I typically didn't take notes. I absorb more if I just listen rather than scramble to write stuff down.