Find Slope From Graph

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
How do I find the slope given the graph of a function?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
It the graph linear? Can you identify two points on the graph?

Reactions: harpazo

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
It the graph linear? Can you identify two points on the graph?
If it is a linear function, we must identify 2 points. What if the graph is not linear? What if it is a trig function or cubic function or any other function that is a curve?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
If it is a linear function, we must identify 2 points. What if the graph is not linear? What if it is a trig function or cubic function or any other function that is a curve?
If the function is non-linear, then the slope will be a function instead of a constant, which is a topic for differential calculus. :)

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
If the function is non-linear, then the slope will be a function instead of a constant, which is a topic for differential calculus. :)
Differential calculus meaning requiring the derivative of a function which is the slope, right?

Reactions: MarkFL

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
Differential calculus meaning requiring the derivative of a function which is the slope, right?
Yes, the derivative represents the instantaneous slope or rate of change.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Yes, the derivative represents the instantaneous slope or rate of change.
I like the idea of the derivative.

Note:

I was thinking about putting aside my college algebra textbook and jumping right into calculus 1. Mark, my goal is to "master" calculus 1-3, if that's even possible. All doctors get the same training in college but eventually they branch off into individual specialties in medical school.

Calculus covers algebra, geometry, trigonometry and precalculus topics to a certain extent. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD JUST SOLVE CALCULUS PROBLEMS? There's a person online known as the calculus guy. He knows most math courses taught before calculus 1 but his specialty is single variable and multivariable calculus. This is where I want to be. What do you say? I want people to say HARPAZO IS THE MAN TO CONTACT FOR ANYONE TAKING CALCULUS 1-3. I want to be the next James Stewart.