Five Reasons People Hate Math

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Love of the subject is a problem. For instance, on here we are often overjoyed to work over fractions, but most people aren't.

Steve5

Jul 19, 2018
One major reason is that it's generally difficult. Let's be honest. Not everyone can calculate advanced mathematical equations. And the majority includes me. I like math for what it is and its importance in life. But I'm far from being good at it.

Another factor is the fact that it pressures people. It puts them on the spot of a reward or punishment situation. If they're able to do it and get it right, they're applauded. But not knowing and making a mistake yields an equivalent negative reaction. Be it from teachers or their peers. :)

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
One major reason is that it's generally difficult. Let's be honest. Not everyone can calculate advanced mathematical equations. And the majority includes me. I like math for what it is and its importance in life. But I'm far from being good at it.

Another factor is the fact that it pressures people. It puts them on the spot of a reward or punishment situation. If they're able to do it and get it right, they're applauded. But not knowing and making a mistake yields an equivalent negative reaction. Be it from teachers or their peers. :)
Stop saying that you are not good in math. This is negative thinking.

Kayculator

Jan 30, 2020
Australia
Interesting article. though I can't quite agree with everything. I mean, it is true you couldn't just wing it but I found that some kids had more affinity for practical classes like math while others liked better the theory ones, so while I think some people didn't like that they needed to give an exact answer, I feel like that's the reason other people could like them.

Really the thing is that if you don't understand the base you can easily become tangled. You need the base to understand how to go about it. Otherwise, as soon as they shake things a little you're completely lost.

I was originally going to rebate about the different language with saying it was more in learning to adopt the mode of recognizing patterns and using them to solve, but then I stopped to think on the way we write things to visualize things. The way we write logical statements limits, etc. I guess in a way, it has a lot of stuff unique to it that will be alien for people not familiarized with a particular math subject.

I feel like "what's the point?" "It's scary" "we've been told to hate it" are related. Man fear what they don't understand. math is not presented to us as an everyday thing, more like a lab thing, something we only use in the classroom. That makes it alien and intimidating. Like Steve says there's a lot of pressure with it. It feels like you're thrown directly into the flames there and rather than being seen as something you get more skill as you practice, it becomes something that either you are good is it or not, rather than accept the bumps in learning and that we are not always find everything math-related easy and that's fine.

Last edited:

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
The link's https:// thing expired - LOL.

Anyway, higher math is mostly procedures. They can only be learned by doing them over and over - not just run over a few times.