NYC
Do we truly have free will?

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
No, I think a lot of things are forced on us, good and bad. For instance, being born an American is a big advantage.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
Here's an interesting article:

Do We Have Free Will?

In my day to day life, I feel as though I do have free will. I can choose what to wear, what to eat, what to do, etc. I feel like I should be held responsible for the choices I make, or at least really feel like I am in control of.

Reactions: harpazo and anemone

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Here's an interesting article:

Do We Have Free Will?

In my day to day life, I feel as though I do have free will. I can choose what to wear, what to eat, what to do, etc. I feel like I should be held responsible for the choices I make, or at least really feel like I am in control of.
Well, he said truly have free will, which implies absolute free will.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
Sometimes, and I am sure it is because of my ignorance of philosophy, philosophers appear to be much like ostriches trying to fly (lot of furious flapping of wings but not getting off the ground). This is one of those times. :)

Reactions: harpazo and anemone

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Do We Have Free Will?

Well, I think this article is saying we should be more kindhearted than @harpazo would have it, no offense. We cannot brush people off with negative terms so easily.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
No, I think a lot of things are forced on us, good and bad. For instance, being born an American is a big advantage.
We do have choices to make in life. Free will and choices cannot be separated.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Do We Have Free Will?

Well, I think this article is saying we should be more kindhearted than @harpazo would have it, no offense. We cannot brush people off with negative terms so easily.
I am super kindhearted but this does not mean that I favor breaking our immigration laws or robbing a bank or murder, raping, cheating, etc. I have ZERO COMPASSION for those who break our laws regardless of immigration status.

Jimmy

Jul 18, 2018
This is an interesting topic. I believe we all have free will to an extent. But we also have a lot of things that are considered not free will. We have it better than most countries though when it comes down to it. Some of them choose what you wear, how you act, what you do, etc. It's really crazy to think about how lucky we have it here.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
This is an interesting topic. I believe we all have free will to an extent. But we also have a lot of things that are considered not free will. We have it better than most countries though when it comes down to it. Some of them choose what you wear, how you act, what you do, etc. It's really crazy to think about how lucky we have it here.
No place on earth like the much hated and much envied USA.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
I think freedom and free will are two entirely different things.

Reactions: harpazo

Lissa Marie Fudotan

Jul 19, 2018
All of us can choose free will, in my opinion. But it's not easy, because we have a lot of things to consider. Sometimes we choose other people than ourselves we choose to sacrifice our free will because of love and responsibility.

Being able to experience love and beloved is more than a free will for me already. As long as I'm happy I'm more than okay with it.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Free will is not a concept. It is a fact. That is why you are able to choose to spend a day at the zoo or the beach. Big words and philosophical terms don't change simple facts. You are reading answers here because of a conscious choice to do so. Even if I knew you were going to do it, that would not change a thing.

MarkAZ

Aug 19, 2018
… Even if I knew you were going to do it, that would not change a thing.
Could you expand on what you had in mind, when you said, "knew you were going to do it"?

MarkAZ

Aug 19, 2018
Here's an interesting article …
That is interesting, and I will need to take my time re-reading it. (I'm fascinated by consciousness and neural physiology -- my autism notwithstanding.)

Two initial thoughts that struck me (or were pre-delivered to me, heh):

"… the question of whether or not we have free will is likely to remain a philosophical quagmire …"

I want to say, "duh". ;) Human beings create philosophy, and we're flawed to begin with!

"… Many neuroscientists, armed with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and other brain scanning tools, argue that, now that we can peer into the brain, we can see that there is no "agent" there making choices."

Really? These neuroscientists know how such an "agent" appears (in data) and that it appears in any data compiled from these brain-scanning tools. That's quite an accomplishment!

I recently saw something about free will in the mainstream media. I'll try to locate that …

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Culture highly influences decisions and you often have no control over it

Last edited:

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
All of us can choose free will, in my opinion. But it's not easy, because we have a lot of things to consider. Sometimes we choose other people than ourselves we choose to sacrifice our free will because of love and responsibility.

Being able to experience love and beloved is more than a free will for me already. As long as I'm happy I'm more than okay with it.
We are not robots. We have the choice to make decisions.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Could you expand on what you had in mind, when you said, "knew you were going to do it"?
I am responding to Jimmy in terms of a choice he made to read all answers posted in this discussion.