Is math too serious?

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Could it be why a lot of students don't like it?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
I think mathematics is exacting, and only gets more rigorous as you progress, but it has to be or we lose much of its power. I think students don't like it because it takes effort. Students by and large resist anything that requires effort. :)

Reactions: harpazo

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
I think mathematics is exacting, and only gets more rigorous as you progress, but it has to be or we lose much of its power. I think students don't like it because it takes effort. Students by and large resist anything that requires effort. :)
That's true but the imbalance gives math people high salaries!

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Mark hit the nail on the head.

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
As people get better at it, it's usually still hard, but a lot more enjoyable.

Reactions: harpazo

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Mar 20, 2018
NYC

MeowsePad

Jul 16, 2018
Some people just don't have the right kind of brain for math. It seems to be either something that you love or hate. I always hated math and preferred other subjects in school, but it wasn't because math required effort. It was just because it wasn't my preferred way of thinking.

Reactions: Jason

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
I always hated math and preferred other subjects in school, but it wasn't because math required effort. It was just because it wasn't my preferred way of thinking.
Can you elaborate?

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Some people just don't have the right kind of brain for math. It seems to be either something that you love or hate. I always hated math and preferred other subjects in school, but it wasn't because math required effort. It was just because it wasn't my preferred way of thinking.
You've always hated math but decided to join this site. It's like saying, I dislike pizza but find myself in a pizzeria every week. It makes no sense.

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
You've always hated math but decided to join this site. It's like saying, I dislike pizza but find myself in a pizzeria every week. It makes no sense.
Some people need help but don't like math or in other cases, they might struggle with math, but not dislike it. OK, in the latter case, the word hate is deceptive.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Some people need help but don't like math or in other cases, they might struggle with math, but not dislike it. OK, in the latter case, the word hate is deceptive.
What is wrong with you?
Read his reply again. I told you MATH ONLY WITH YOU!!!!

Steve5

Jul 19, 2018
I don't think Math is too serious. The subject itself can be fun and entertaining. It's actually the people who take math too serious. There's a difference between respecting the subject and being too strict about it. This could be why students find it boring. It's not always about solving equations.

There's a lot more to it once we explore its real life applications. :)

Steve5

Jul 19, 2018
I agree. You have a point about students not liking anything that requires effort. I'm also fascinated by their genuine reactions whenever they learn stuff that makes things easier. Like shortcuts in multiplication. There's always that saying about doing stuff smarter, not harder. :D

Arniel

Jul 19, 2018
As a math teacher. For me, if you don't really have an interest to learn more about mathematics then I'm 100% sure that you will probably hate math and you've might thinking that mathematics is a very hard subject. But in other case, if you are interested in mathematics, then you won't realized that you've already found yourself enjoying in this subject. Though I admit that math is really hard and here in our country the top most hated subject is Mathematics. So I wan't to change the way they see about mathematics and everytime I have a new lesson, I really tried my best to explain the lesson in a simple way and easy to understand.

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
It's especially important math teachers have a sense of humor because the subject seems too serious and difficult.

Last edited:

Esmee

Jan 13, 2020
I think there are lot of people with the background of math that tend to overpower people around. That kind of puts off many other people. And people tend to find the people who like maths and the math itself as more or less serious on that note.