Math As Hobby

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Is math a hobby for you? If so, why?

Milko

May 22, 2018
I love it because when I've got a problem stuck in my head that I'm trying to work through, I never need to be bored, even just standing in line at the bank. And when those moments of clarity come, it's euphoria that you bring upon yourself by just thinking.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
I love it because when I've got a problem stuck in my head that I'm trying to work through, I never need to be bored, even just standing in line at the bank. And when those moments of clarity come, it's euphoria that you bring upon yourself by just thinking.
Math is boring to people who do not understand it. In fact, most people hate to think analytically.

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
This reminds me of a professor who asked everyone their favorite math formula. :D

Last edited:

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
This reminds me of a professor who asked everyone their favorite math formula. :D
I never thought about having a favorite formula. I like them all.

Last edited:

Esmee

Jan 13, 2020
I don't consider math as a hobby. For me it is more or less getting the work done with it. I don't obsessively chase any subject anymore. I consider any subject as a way to solve my problem and I move on from that.

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Yeah, it would definitely be a hobby - but if skill improves and some job (either self-employment or employment) results - it would be more than that. Anyway, certainly someone could be good at math - but not use it for money. Well, maybe they already have a good income stream.

More Thoughts

O.K. - credibility is a problem. Even if someone had massive proof they were good, it might not be enough for employers.