Math in the Navy

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
What math did you use in the Navy? What do the higher commanders use? What is the most common math? I figure it would be trig.

Reactions: harpazo

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
What math did you use in the Navy? What do the higher commanders use? What is the most common math? I figure it would be trig.
At NTC, I was assigned to the Electrician's Mate "A" School. I took 5 math courses involving a mixture of electronic equations, basic trig, algebra 1 and 2, circuit reading and translation.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
My tools of the trade were swabs, needle guns and paint brushes. No math.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
My tools of the trade were swabs, needle guns and paint brushes. No math.
I know exactly what you mean. When I got to the ship, I did not do electric work. The title ELECTRICIAN'S MATE or EM is just that, a title. I was hired along with 10 or 15 other EM sailors to be a HELPER OR ASSISTANT to civilian electricians onboard the ship.

It's all a lie. The Navy put me (and other sailors) through a series of courses at NTC (NAVAL TRAINING CENTER) as an opportunity to avoid going to the ship as an undesignated sailor, which is the pits!!

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
My recruiter told me nothing about A schools, so I wound being undesignated, and doing all the menial work. All of my requests for an A school were denied, so I became disenchanted and no longer cared. I did as little work as I could get away with. I came to resent the officers, whose lives were very different. They were the gentlemen, and the enlisted were the unshaven beasts. I loved it when the Master Chief of the command would say the the ensigns when they asked him a question, "You went to college, why don't you tell me?!"

Reactions: harpazo

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
My recruiter told me nothing about A schools, so I wound being undesignated, and doing all the menial work. All of my requests for an A school were denied, so I became disenchanted and no longer cared. I did as little work as I could get away with. I came to resent the officers, whose lives were very different. They were the gentlemen, and the enlisted were the unshaven beasts. I loved it when the Master Chief of the command would say the the ensigns when they asked him a question, "You went to college, why don't you tell me?!"
I mainly assisted civilian electricians on the ship. Basic wiring stuff, nothing fancy or requiring advanced skills. I was a designated sailor. Graduating from "A" school prevented me from going to the ship as a shipbird.