Needed Social Control and Christianity

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Even though Christian beliefs are not needed for respect (respect of kids to parents, especially) - in my area, it's all in the game. Anyway, I can see the need for social control - and why people might be clinging on to religion - for social control first, and for other stuff, second.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
Interestingly, the societies with the best social health are those that are the least religious.

Reactions: anemone

Darya

Apr 20, 2019
America
Interestingly, the societies with the best social health are those that are the least religious.
This makes sense, though, all thing considered. Religions often clash over beliefs, and sadly, many radicals (specifically Christian and Islamic) take these beliefs to the extreme by either physical violence or verbal abuse. The irony of the situation is that radicals, in trying to get others to adhere to their law, completely ignore other parts of their religious codes.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
To be honest, some people who are anti-religious - are not in a "social control" atmosphere. What I mean is they aren't parents, they aren't prison guards, they aren't teachers. It's easy for them to dismiss order, when it means nothing to them.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
If a society is using religion as a means of control, we know from history this always comes at a great loss of personal freedom and a whole host of other societal ills.

Reactions: anemone

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
If a society is using religion as a means of control, we know from history this always comes at a great loss of personal freedom and a whole host of other societal ills.
Well, the Communists tried to ban religion, the Nazis tried to change it. In both instances, we saw a great oppression.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
I would actually rather live in a society where people treat each other well because it's the right thing to do, and for purely humanist reasons. Doing so out of fear of some supernatural punishment, or in expectation of some supernatural reward seems disingenuous by comparison. A good person doesn't need religion to behave well.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
I would actually rather live in a society where people treat each other well because it's the right thing to do, and for purely humanist reasons. Doing so out of fear of some supernatural punishment, or in expectation of some supernatural reward seems disingenuous by comparison. A good person doesn't need religion to behave well.
Well, Christianity, at least most of it, sees other religions as false.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
Yes, most religions would state all the others are wrong, since most make unfalsifiable claims that are at odds with one another. Religion shouldn't drive government policies though, it should be kept sequestered in the churches/temples and not allowed to intrude in areas where it doesn't belong and only causes harm. Our forefathers were very careful to separate church and state, yet we see religion knocking on doors it has no business knocking on.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
I would invite anyone interested to watch the following video: