RTC Swim Test

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Tell me about your RTC swim test. Do you recall jumping from a high diving board into the pool?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
My swimming test took place 3 February, 1981.

I recall having to straddle a bidet kind of deal before getting in the pool, and being told it would be the closest thing to "action" we would see during recruit training. We were told that if we had difficulty during the test, one of the instructors would jump in a rescue us, and we better not fight the rescuer, even though that might be instinctual. We had to swim two laps as a group, and then we had to jump in from the platform and tread water for like 10 minutes or so.

Sure enough, one of the guys had trouble, and the instructor jumped in and the guy struggled against the instructor. The instructor roughly got him to the edge, and another yanked him from the water, and he was thrown to the deck still choking on water, and told to do 50 pushups.

Reactions: anemone and harpazo

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
My swimming test took place 3 February, 1981.

I recall having to straddle a bidet kind of deal before getting in the pool, and being told it would be the closest thing to "action" we would see during recruit training. We were told that if we had difficulty during the test, one of the instructors would jump in a rescue us, and we better not fight the rescuer, even though that might be instinctual. We had to swim two laps as a group, and then we had to jump in from the platform and tread water for like 10 minutes or so.

Sure enough, one of the guys had trouble, and the instructor jumped in and the guy struggled against the instructor. The instructor roughly got him to the edge, and another yanked him from the water, and he was thrown to the deck still choking on water, and told to do 50 pushups.
1. I had to jump from a diving board 10 feet off the floor.

2. I then had to float for about 10 minutes.

3. We had to swim one or two laps around the pool.

4. Diving into the pool was scary.