Submarine Duty

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
When I was a kid I liked submarines, however, I knew it must be a tough job. So what do you all know of it @mathdad and @MarkFL?

Reactions: harpazo

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
When I was a kid I liked submarines, however, I knew it must be a tough job. So what do you all know of it @mathdad and @MarkFL?
After NTC, I was stationed at the Naval Base in Point Loma San Diego, CA.I don't know about Mark's contract (not all seaman contracts are alike), I served 3 years on the USS McKee AS-41, A Sub Tender ship. The last year of my contract I was transferred to Sub Marine duty on the USS San Francisco SSN-711.

The submarine life is not fun. It's nothing like what you see on tv. I hate the small hatches (doors), the plates and food rock on the narrow table, the heads (two bathrooms) are too small and stink like urine all day down there, etc.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
I never served aboard a submarine. I heard stories from a few who had. They spoke of being like a close-knit family, and hazing of new guys, etc.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
I never served aboard a submarine. I heard stories from a few who had. They spoke of being like a close-knit family, and hazing of new guys, etc.
I served my last year in a submarine. I wanted to re-enlist at the end of my contract but they wanted me to stay in the sub for years 5 and 6. I said no.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
After NTC, I was stationed at the Naval Base in Point Loma San Diego, CA.I don't know about Mark's contract (not all seaman contracts are alike), I served 3 years on the USS McKee AS-41, A Sub Tender ship. The last year of my contract I was transferred to Sub Marine duty on the USS San Francisco SSN-711.

The submarine life is not fun. It's nothing like what you see on tv. I hate the small hatches (doors), the plates and food rock on the narrow table, the heads (two bathrooms) are too small and stink like urine all day down there, etc.
Well, I'm pretty much on a sub all day anyway - a computer, which isn't much different. My break is going to town once a day and often going jogging!

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Well, I'm pretty much on a sub all day anyway - a computer, which isn't much different. My break is going to town once a day and often going jogging!
You are lucky to be away from the employment world. I would do anything to collect disability. I am 53 and tired of working in a dead-end job like contract security.

The other day, I contacted the social security office and found out that I cannot collect SS until the age of 67. Every case is different. At 67, my SS will be slightly over $1,000/month (before taxes).

A lot of people don't realize that the rate per hour determines what SS will be at the age of retirement. With the exception of the Navy and my years as a per diem sub, I've had pretty bad jobs for most of my life. My family is divided. Nobody cares. I have not seen my son since 2016. My future looks dim.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
You are lucky to be away from the employment world. I would do anything to collect disability. I am 53 and tired of working in a dead-end job like contract security.

The other day, I contacted the social security office and found out that I cannot collect SS until the age of 67. Every case is different. At 67, my SS will be slightly over $1,000/month (before taxes).

A lot of people don't realize that the rate per hour determines what SS will be at the age of retirement. With the exception of the Navy and my years as a per diem sub, I've had pretty bad jobs for most of my life. My family is divided. Nobody cares. I have not seen my son since 2016. My future looks dim.
Disability is horrible. I mean, you live, but there is no future. You don't want it. What you need is a good job, one that you like and makes at least decent money.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Disability is horrible. I mean, you live, but there is no future. You don't want it. What you need is a good job, one that you like and makes at least decent money.
I got hired to work security at a rich, private school in the Bronx at $14/hr but I dislike the multi-post facility. It is a sensitive job. The school covers grades k-12.

Any mistake I make on probation, out I go. Security sucks because guards get blamed for everything and anything. I start training this week at the school site. Not happy at all.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
I got hired to work security at a rich, private school in the Bronx at $14/hr but I dislike the multi-post facility. It is a sensitive job. The school covers grades k-12.

Any mistake I make on probation, out I go. Security sucks because guards get blamed for everything and anything. I start training this week at the school site. Not happy at all.
Life is tough. I worked a teaching jobs many times and much criticism directed toward me was irrational and I wasn't given the right tools to do the job. In fact, all in all, the teaching thing (ESL in South Korea) was a failure and I worked probably 3 whole years at it.

But I made good money - even if to many it probably seemed like theft.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Life is tough. I worked a teaching jobs many times and much criticism directed toward me was irrational and I wasn't given the right tools to do the job. In fact, all in all, the teaching thing (ESL in South Korea) was a failure and I worked probably 3 whole years at it.

But I made good money - even if to many it probably seemed like theft.
Jobs are not hard. Only people make it hard.