What use is Algebra in the real world?

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
That's a common argument by people. I mean, aside from being in some job that demands it (engineering, math/science teaching etc.), it seems pointless.

Vinsanity

Feb 14, 2018
Then those people who think that Mathematics is pointless are wrong. Algebra is very important not only in engineering, Math or Science teaching but also to people who had graduated to a course that does not really need Algebra. Why? In this millennium, employers tend to seek for job seekers who have excellent logical and abstract reasoning skills. And I believe that these skills can be developed by having a good foundation in Algebra. We all know that Algebra is the basic foundation of higher Mathematics like Calculus, Geometry and Trigonometry which are mostly prerequisites in college students, so without Algebra, you won't be able to graduate, you won't be able to easily get your dream job.

Sev7en

Feb 15, 2018
That's a common argument by people. I mean, aside from being in some job that demands it (engineering, math/science teaching etc.), it seems pointless.
Hello @TheJason,

First of all let me just define the word "Algebra", a study of mathematical symbols and the rules to manipulate this symbols. Symbols or equations are typically broken or always has a missing link (in layman's terms) so in addition Algebra is also defined as "Reunion of Broken Parts". Look it at this perspective, for example you have a set of Lego and you want to create something, for you to be able to solve and complete the puzzle or your desired design you need to "find" the right piece to the puzzle. This is where Algebra comes into play, these mathematical equations are always have a missing link and you need to fill that missing link of the equation. Finding those missing links can be a little tricky for the most part because a little mistake can ruin everything, just like on my example of Lego, and can lead to failed project which makes us upset and dislikes the concerned subject. You may take note that Algebra is just a branch of Mathematics, and the foundation to deeper mathematics.

Now, you might be wondering if what this mathematical equation (Algebra) can make use of in the real world. Well basically, and literally, you wouldn't use this equation in basic computation just like adding the total net income of your wage per month and subtracting the total expenses in your household. What Algebra can do for you in real world situations is to give you an additional information or technique on how you can solve the more complex problems involving mathematical problems. This concerns for example when you want to build your own yard or something that involves measurements. Algebra can be very handy when it comes to computations regarding measurements.

So basically, Algebraic equations can be quite a sore in the eye but when you understand the purpose and system you might enjoy it. Plus, if you're a student you can be the star on your mathematics class. I hope i address some enlightenment on your query and please comment if you find something confusing on my statement.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Algebra is very important not only in engineering, Math or Science teaching but also to people who had graduated to a course that does not really need Algebra.
Actually, quite a number of useful formulas use algebra. For instance, let's say you needed to calculate interest (bank account).

First of all let me just define the word "Algebra", a study of mathematical symbols and the rules to manipulate this symbols. Symbols or equations are typically broken or always has a missing link (in layman's terms) so in addition Algebra is also defined as "Reunion of Broken Parts".
Find the Missing Thing would be a title.

xobe

Feb 15, 2018
Algebra is one instrument to help people calculates different logic. It is very important that we know the basics in algebra because it applies also to our technology like using excel application to define values. Algebra is some type of analyzation and formulas.

Mario Junior

Feb 16, 2018
Simply put, algebra is about finding the unknown or putting real life variables into equations and then solving them. Unfortunately, many textbooks go straight to the rules, procedures, and formulas, forgetting that these are real life problems being solved and skipping the explanation of algebra at its core: using symbols to represent variables and missing factors in equations and manipulating them in such a way to arrive at a solution.

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that substitutes letters for numbers, and an algebraic equation represents a scale where what is done on one side of the scale is also done to the other side of the scale and the numbers act as constants. Algebra can include real numbers, complex numbers, matrices, vectors, and many more forms of mathematic representation.

valvulaeconniventes

Feb 7, 2018
Simple transactions in life are essentially algebra, whether people realize it or not. Sure, they are used in specialized fields, but even just how much should I buy given I have this amount of budget is already algebra.

Feb 21, 2018
I think algebra is not needed beyond the 8th grade. I know for a fact that almost no one uses algebra in real life i mean really simple equations that are small you may use but telling me to factor quadrilaterals and finding complex equations and stuff is not needed in life. Schools should teach us stuff that we actually use in real life!!!

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
It's debatable about how much algebra is even needed in probs and stats, a course non-math/science majors need. @MarkFL what do you think?

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Algebra is used in the real world just about in every subject. Take a look at a simple example.

Jason went to the store to purchase milk and bread. The total was $6.87. He knows the price of the bread to be $3.24. How much did he pay for the milk?

Algebra is involved here.

Let m = price of milk

Let t = total

Let b = bread

t - b = m

See my point?