Who liked Philosophy courses?

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
I did, but one of my professors was a psycho!

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
I did, but one of my professors was a psycho!
I took one philosophy course at NYC Technical College. I did not like it. I think I got a C in the course.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
I think the Indian professor (a woman) liked me secretly - but she was an older lady - but I was in my upper 30s, though.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
She secretly liked you or so you think.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
She secretly liked you or so you think.
Well, she bends over backwards for me, isn't uncomfortable with me in her office, asks me to be a Facebook friend without my invitation.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
I understand why you enjoyed the course.

MarkAZ

Aug 19, 2018

MarkAZ

Aug 19, 2018
͏
I'd enjoy studying philosophy some day, if I could find an overview written for average people. I've had philosophical thoughts where I sense afterwards that they must already be a part of some philosophical viewpoint, but when I try to check out the subject I'm always bored to tears.

One recurring thought is wondering whether emotions are a requirement for human evolution or a byproduct …

͏

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
͏
I'd enjoy studying philosophy some day, if I could find an overview written for average people. I've had philosophical thoughts where I sense afterwards that they must already be a part of some philosophical viewpoint, but when I try to check out the subject I'm always bored to tears.

One recurring thought is wondering whether emotions are a requirement for human evolution or a byproduct …

͏
Each person is a spirit. The spirit lives within each of us. Our emotional side is connected to our spirit not evolution or some philosophical idea.

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
Vulcans have no emotion. ;)

Each person is a spirit. The spirit lives within each of us. Our emotional side is connected to our spirit not evolution or some philosophical idea.
Some animals have human-like emotions, like dogs and to some degree, cats. Do they have a spirit?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
͏

One recurring thought is wondering whether emotions are a requirement for human evolution or a byproduct …͏
I would say evolution selected for emotions, otherwise we wouldn't be emotional. There must have been some advantage to having emotions. For example, parents who love their children, will be protective of them, increasing the probability that those children will survive to reproduce. That's of course how traits come to be prevalent...when those who have some trait have an advantage over those who do not.

Reactions: anemone

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
Vulcans have no emotion. ;)

Some animals have human-like emotions, like dogs and to some degree, cats. Do they have a spirit?
Animals do not have a spirit. No biblical prove.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Staff member
Administrator
Math Helper
Jan 25, 2018
St. Augustine
How do you define "spirit?" If it is something supernatural, then please ignore this question, as I'm not interested in anything without evidence.

Reactions: anemone

TheJason

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 25, 2018
jasonyankee.info
This is like the argument about the US constitution. If it's not implicitly allowed, then is it OK?

So with the Bible, I'd say on matter where the Bible is silent, we don't really know. Anyway, the Bible is against animal cruelty (kosher laws etc.), so I'm thinking God is concerned about animals.

harpazo

Pure Mathematics
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
NYC
This is like the argument about the US constitution. If it's not implicitly allowed, then is it OK?

So with the Bible, I'd say on matter where the Bible is silent, we don't really know. Anyway, the Bible is against animal cruelty (kosher laws etc.), so I'm thinking God is concerned about animals.
The spirit is the force or energy that dead bodies no longer have.